Glengormley Urban DEA
Glengormley Urban includes the electoral wards of Burnthill, Carnmoney, Glebe, Glengormley, Hightown, Ballyhenry & Collinbridge. Glengormley is approximately six miles from Belfast; the sixth milestone from the city centre is located on the Ballyclare Road beside Glengormley High School. Glengormley sits at 700 feet above sea level, and has a cold and windy climate which may be explained by the 'tunnel' of natural features running from the Antrim coast to the edge of Glengormley on the Hightown Road.
- This is an entirely urban DEA.
- 15% of the population of the Borough live in this DEA in 8,359 households.
- There was a 3% population decline in this area over the 10 years 2004-2014.
- This DEA has an aging population and 12% of households are lone pensioners.
- There are 9 primary schools, with 1,860 primary school pupils, 2 post primary schools with 1,545 pupils of post primary age, 1 special school, 2 nursery and 5 pre-schools.
- This DEA has 1 Library, 2 Public Parks and a Pavillion.
- 71.5% of school leavers from this DEA achieved at least 5 GCSE’s A*-C (equiv) inc. English & Maths.
Did You Know:
Lillian Bland, after whom the park in Glengormley is named was the first woman to fly an aircraft in Ireland. In early 1910, she constructed a home-made biplane glider, which she named Mayfly. Her first test flights were short glides from Carnmoney Hill.
Sentry Hill is an early 19th-century farmhouse and attraction within this DEA, the house sits on the hill above Glengormley and Corr's Corner.
There are 12 sports facilities (including school facilities) in this area.
There are 8 chemists in this urban DEA, 6 dental surgeries and 3 GP practices.
Only 35.1% of households have access to 2+ cars/vans and this area has the highest percentage of public transport use.
Almost 25% (of the population aged 16+) have no qualifications (2011) and the majority of those employed 18.7% are in administrative/secretarial positions.
13.4% of the people in this DEA provide unpaid care to sick and disabled relatives.
Glengormley Urban DEA Profile