Airport DEA stretches from the edge of Glengormley in urban Newtownabbey to Crumlin outside Antrim and includes the 5 electoral wards of: Aldergrove, Clady, Crumlin (Antrim LGD), Mallusk and Templepatrick. The DEA is mostly rural with a number of villages and the town centre of Crumlin. Belfast International Airport, CAFRE Greenmount Campus, the education establishment of all things green – agricultural, horticultural and environmental and Crumlin Leisure Centre are all located within this, the largest DEA. Sixmile Water River runs through it and its assets include the beautiful Crumlin Glen and Patterson’s Spade Mill.
- 15% of the population of the Borough live in this DEA in 7,240 households.
- There was a 13% population growth in this area over the 10 years 2004-2014.
- It has a young population 24% are aged between 0-15 within this DEA, 65% of the population are working age.
- There are 7 primary schools, with 2,050 primary school pupils and 1 post primary school and 1,755 residents of post primary age.
- Almost 20% (19.9%, 16+) have no qualifications (2011)
- 73.3% of school leavers achieved at least 5 GCSE’s A*-C (equiv) inc. English & Maths.
Did You Know:
400,000 people travelled into and out of Belfast International Airport during April 2016 and they will have travelled through the Airport DEA to reach their end destination.
There are 21 sports facilities (including school facilities) in this area as well as a leisure centre, this is maybe the reason why 86% people have very good/good health.
There are only 2 chemists in this the largest DEA and 3 GP practices.
51.8% of households have access to 2+ cars/vans and 10% car share to travel to work.
The majority of those employed 68.2% are in professional occupations 17.2%.
A number of significant national and international companies have bases in this DEA – Canyon, Royal Mail, Randox amongst others.
Airport DEA Profile