Councillor Paul Michael is the Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey for 2018/19.
Councillor Paul Michael was first elected in August 1999 to the legacy Antrim Borough Council and was elected Mayor of Antrim in 2011. Paul is a former pupil of Ballycraigy Primary and Antrim High School.
Paul has worked for Antrim Royal British Legion for the last 33 years and currently holds the position of Chairman. In 2013, Paul was awarded the Gold Badge for services to the Royal British Legion.
As a former Army Cadet and Reserve Veteran with the Royal Engineers, it is no surprise that Paul has spent his working life supporting the service and ex-service community and currently holds the position of Veterans Champion on Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council.
He is married to Angela with three grown up children - Tyler, Shannon and Holly and lives in Antrim.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor
As Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey, Councillor Michael has a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- presiding over council meetings and, in the case of equality of votes, he has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the Council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Antrim and Newtownabbey by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the Borough
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Antrim and Newtownabbey at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Antrim and Newtownabbey at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey’s business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey as a place of excellence in which to live to do business and as a tourist destination
The address for any correspondence is:
Antrim Civic Centre
50 Stiles Way
Tel: 028 9446 3113
Carnmoney Road North
Tel: 028 9034 0000
Email: [email protected]
Office of Mayor 2018 - 2019