Councillor Paul Hamill is the Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey for 2017/18.
Councillor Paul Hamill was first elected in May 2014 to serve in the Macedon DEA.
Growing up Paul attended Abbotts Cross Primary, then Rathcoole Secondary, before serving his 3 year apprenticeship in Shorts Bombardier, where he went on to become a Senior Weights Engineer.
Paul is a lifelong member of the Boy’s Brigade and a recipient of the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze, Silver and Gold awards. He is a member of the Board of Governors for Abbey Community College.
Prior to being elected Paul previously worked for 11 years full time as the Missionary in Rathcoole for the Belfast City Mission. He is married to Ruth and they have two daughters Grace (11) and Sarah (7) who attend Whitehouse Primary School.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor
As Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey, Councillor Hamill has a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- presiding over council meetings and, in the case of equality of votes, he has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the Council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Antrim and Newtownabbey by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the Borough
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Antrim and Newtownabbey at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Antrim and Newtownabbey at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey’s business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey as a place of excellence in which to live to do business and as a tourist destination
The address for any correspondence is:
Antrim Civic Centre
50 Stiles Way
Tel: 028 9446 3113
Carnmoney Road North
Tel: 028 9034 0000
The Office of Mayor (8.6Kb)